Your unique MINI, Your unique MINI,
REQUEST AN OFFER.
BOOK A TEST DRIVE.
HOW ALL-ELECTRIC FITS YOUR DRIVE STYLE.
80% SOC (11 kW, AC)
Battery capacity (nominal, 28.9 kWh )
80% SOC (50 kW, DC**)
Built for fast charging with CCS
AC Wallbox included
Your MINI Electric comes with a standard AC Smart Wallbox (including installation) that you can install at your home or office. A dedicated 3-phase 11kW installation is required and will lead to a up to a fast charging time. So your MINI Electric can be fully charged in approximately 3.5 hours. To install the Wallbox, you will have the expert assistance of an approved electrician via our external partners.
Additionally you can also take a flexible fast charging cable (optional) and use it as a Wallbox alternative.
If you are interested in installing an additional MINI Wallbox (optional), please contact your Authorized MINI Dealer.
MINI Charging is our all-round carefree solution for charging your MINI. Products and services from MINI Charging provide you with numerous options for charging at home, options which include MINI Wallbox, Partner (ABB) Smart Wallbox, Flexible Fast Charger and Standard Charging Cable.
BEV – Battery Electric Vehicle (1 enery source for the drive train, i.e. electric motor and 1 energy storage device, i.e. high-voltage battery)
PHEV – Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle (2 energy sources for the drive train, i.e. engine & electric motor and 2 energy storage devices which are fuel & a high-voltage battery)
BEV and PHEV charge the battery with Direct Current (DC). All BMW Group models have integrated charging electronics to convert Alternating Current (AC), which is common in public power grids, into Direct Current (DC). Depending on the electric vehicle model, this enables a charging capacity of up to 22 kW.
For direct quick charging or ultra-quick charging of batteries with Direct Current, Alternating Current is converted into Direct Current in the charging station. This technology enables the charging of the electric vehicle with up to 200 kW. A charging capacity with up to 50 kW of DC is considered as quick charging. A charging capacity between 50 kW and up to 350 kW of DC is considered as ultra-quick charging or High-Power Charging (HPC).
Essentially different charging options vary the duration of the charging operation. The time taken to charge electric vehicles takes longer with Alternating Current (AC), while Direct Current (DC) is significantly faster. Ultra-fast charging with Direct Current (DC) is possible with a High-Power Charging station (HPC).
- Battery of MINI BEV (MINI 3-door Cooper SE) is charged with Direct Current from 0% to 80% with a capacity of up to 50 kW in only 36 minutes.
- Battery of BMW iX xDrive 40 is charged with Direct Current from 10% to 80% with a capacity of up to 150 kW in only 31 minutes.
The maximum vehicle charging capacity in each case depends on the market specific infrastructure and vehicle specifications. Please note that in the case of AC, DC and HPC charging, you should keep holding the plug on the vehicle until it locks in place. With this, you can ensure that the charging operation will start without any problems.
You can check the current charging status and available range of your MINI Electric car on the Multi-functional Instrument Display in the car.
The ideal charge level is between 20% and 80%. Although lower or higher charge levels are possible, the range between 20% and 80% is recommended for optimizing the life of your battery. Permanently low states of charge below 20% carry the risk of total discharge. Also frequent charging to 100%, the battery ages faster.
A charging target of 80% normally covers your daily range requirement. If you need a greater range occasionally, you can simply set a higher charging target.
No. Currently, you cannot charge your BEV or PHEV battery inductively. BMW Group is currently researching relevant technologies for use in future production vehicles.
In order to get the maximum out of your vehicle from the outset, it is advisable to precondition the battery and vehicle interior. As cooling and heating require electric energy, this process should be carried out while the vehicle is still charging. To do this, simply set the desired departure time and conditioning requirements in the vehicle settings. When the time comes to depart, the battery will then have attained the ideal operating temperature and the climate of the interior will also be at an optimum level.
If you leave your Electric vehicle parked for a longer period, for example if you are away on vacation, try and maintain a charge level between 30% and 50% and leave your vehicle in a cool or covered place during the summer and in a garage during the winter. In addition, the vehicle should not be left plugged in for charging when stationary for longer periods of time.
Yes, your MINI can be charged during rains. However, the charging plug and socket in the vehicle must not be wet while connecting the cable to vehicle (ensure dry connection).
An interruption of the charging process for your electric vehicle can have different reasons. Often, an incorrectly inserted charging cable prevents communication between the vehicle and the charging station. The pre-set charging time, a defective charging station or problems with cables, adapters or charging accessories may also cause an interruption of the charging process.
- MINI WALLBOX ESSENTIAL.
Up to 22 kW charging capacity, weatherproof reduced design, integrated cable management.
- Partner (ABB) SMART WALLBOX.
The Smart Wallbox from our partner provides Up to 22 kW charging capacity along with extended functions for connectivity and intelligent control of charging at home.
- FLEXIBLE FAST CHARGER (Mode-2).
Flexible Fast Charger is available with a maximum capacity of up to 11 kW and a waterproof casing so that it is both versatile and suitable for mobile use. To utilize the full capacity, an industrial plug with enhanced performance is required. The Flexible Fast Charger is suitable for charging at 2.3 kW from domestic mains sockets (depends on country specific socket type and government regulations). Use of an extension cableand multi-plug connectors is prohibited.
Before selecting a home charging solution, you should check the connection specifications of the power company providing electricity to your home.
You can simply book our installation service along with your Wallbox with the support of your MINI Authorised Dealer. This guarantees that your Wallbox is installed and set up safely and professionally.
We recommend a three-phase connection with fuse protection of at least 16 A – this will allow 11 kW to be supplied to the vehicle. A three-phase connection with 32 A fuse protection will be future-proof to allow 22 kW supply.
Yes, if other vehicles require a charging plug with "Type 2" standard or the CCS plug (combi plug).
No, comprehensive electromagnetic tolerance tests have confirmed that the MINI Wallbox Essential does not emit any radiation.
The BMW Group Dealer Network is equipped with DC fast chargers which can be utilized by BMW/ MINI customers 24/7 for charging when on the go. With BMW/MINI Charging we will offer a steadily expanding and nationwide network of public charge points from external partners.
One important external factor influencing the performance and capacity of a battery is temperature. As you probably know from your mobile phone battery, the performance is restricted in extreme cold and hot temperatures. In your vehicle, however, this temperature influence is largely minimized by means of intelligent and optimized operating systems. The capacity of the battery storage system also yields information on the available range. Apart from temperature, other factors affecting the range are energy consumers, such as the air conditioning, the carrying load and your driving style.
As is the case for a vehicle with a conventional combustion system, driving style also affects the range of an electric car. As a general rule, an anticipatory, relaxed, and consistent driving style optimizes your range. If, for example, you reduce your speed on the motorway, you can noticeably increase your range as a result. During recuperation, that means whenever you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal, kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy and fed into the battery and you gain farther kilometres in range.
Charging losses may occur when charging your electric vehicle. These depend on various factors, such as the charging capacity, the charging type (AC, DC, HPC), the state of charge or the temperature of the battery. To reduce charging losses, we recommend preconditioning the battery of your electric vehicle and charging it preferably in a range between 20% and 80% of its capacity.
The duration of the charging process depends on the current battery capacity of your electric vehicle, any charging losses and the amount of energy required to precondition (20% to 80% range) it for departure. If the battery is preconditioned and the state of charge of your electric vehicle battery is between 20% and 80%, the battery charges extremely quickly, efficiently and gently.
- 1. Ensure power supply availability to the Wallbox.
- Connect the vehicle connection plug to the vehicle charging socket.
- The vehicle will start the charging cycle automatically.
Stop the charging cycle on the vehicle.
- Disconnect the vehicle connection plug from the vehicle charging socket.
- Place the vehicle connection plug back into the cable holder on the MINI Wallbox.
Note: Further information about ending the charging cycle is available in vehicle owner’s manual.
- Connect the chosen mains adapter cable to Flexible Fast Charger.
- Connect the mains adapter to a domestic outlet.
- When the mains adapter is connected to domestic outlet, the charging status bar will flash orange, then illuminate blue, indicating Flexible Fast Charger is ready for charging.
- Connect the vehicle connector to EV (Electric vehicle) inlet, charging session will start automatically and charging status bar flashes blue.
- Disconnect the vehicle connector from the EV inlet.
- Remove the mains adapter from the domestic outlet.
- The Wallbox and Flexible Fast Charger have been designed for indoor and outdoor use. It is therefore necessary to ensure the correct installation conditions and protection for the device at the installation site.
- Take into account the local electrical installation regulations, fire prevention regulations and accident prevention regulations as well as the rescue routes at the site.
- Do not install the Wallbox at locations: - Which are used as escape and rescue routes
- If possible, install the Wallbox so that it is protected from direct rainfall, avoid other effects of changing weather conditions, icing, damage by hailstones or similar circumstances.
- If possible, install the Wallbox so that it is protected from direct sunlight to prevent the charging current from being reduced or the charging process from being interrupted as a result of excessive temperatures on components.
- Please note that if the device is installed in a location where it is not protected from the weather, the charging current may be reduced if the temperature exceeds the limit value.
- To comply with the permitted ambient conditions, please refer to the respective section in the manual.
- Which are inside potentially explosive zones (EX environment)
- Where the Wallbox is exposed to ammonia or ammonia gases (certain industrial locations)
- Where the Wallbox may be damaged by falling objects (suspended ladders or car tyres)
- Where the Wallbox is on a direct personnel route and people could stumble over the connected charging cable
- Where the Wallbox can be exposed to pressurised water (for example due to neighbouring manual car wash systems, pressure washers or garden hoses)
- If the installation surface does not have sufficient strength to withstand the mechanical stresses
- The Wallbox must be connected using an independent residual-current-operated circuit breaker.
- No other circuits may be connected to this residual-current-operated circuit breaker.
- RCBO (4Pole, Type A, 40A, 30mA) with box.
- Power Cables requirement - 10sqmm Cable 4core Power Copper Cable
- Earth Cable requirement - 10sqmm Cable 1core Earthing Copper Cable
- The device is designed for use with a selection of electrical outlets. These electrical outlets must comply with the relevant national regulations (connection and installation standards) whether they are already existing or installed separately.
- Ensure that the maximum permissible charging current (based on type of adapter in use as 10 A, 16 A or 32 A) suits the installed circuit breaker, cables and the back-up fuse.
- Ensure that an already existing wall installation and outlet is designed for permanent electrical load. It is highly recommended that the device is connected to an electrical outlet with a separate residual-current-operated circuit breaker. No other circuits should be connected to this residual-current-operated circuit breaker.
- The device does not have its own mains switch. The residual-current-operated circuit breaker and/or the circuit breaker connected to the electrical outlet are used as a mains isolation device.
- All electrical outlets must be installed, commissioned and serviced by appropriately trained and qualified electricians, with the knowledge of the relevant standards, who bear full responsibility for compliance with current standards and installation regulations.This device must have access to an earth connection. In the event of an error, the earth connection will reduce the danger of an electric shock. Please ensure that the electrical outlet can provide a sufficiently designed earth connection.
- RCBO (4Pole, Type A, 40A, 30mA) with box.
- 1 Phase – Wall mount socket IEC 60309 (Industrial Type) with 16 A rating, min. IP44 rating
- 3 Phase - Wall mount socket IEC 60309 (Industrial Type) with 16 A rating, min. IP44 rating
- 3 Phase - Wall mount socket IEC 60309 (Industrial Type) with 32 A rating, min. IP44 rating
Power Cable and Earth cable Requirement
- 1 Phase - 4.0sqmm Cable Copper Cable (L and N)
- 3 Phase - 6.0sqmm Cable Copper Cable (3L and N)
Earth cable Requirement
- 1 Phase - 0.75-1.0sqmm Cable Copper Cable (E)
- 3 Phase - 1.0-1.5sqmm Cable Copper Cable (E)